Saturday, April 05, 2008

Why I'm a Bad Blogger


So, I'm pretty much back to square one here, writing this blog for myself. It feels a little ridiculous to post this, considering I lost what few readers I had by taking an unannounced year-and-a-half break. In a way, I'm sad.. none of my blog friends asked where I was or anything.. I just quietly faded off their blogrolls.

I can't blame them, though. I'll never be a good blogger for one reason; I can't write unless I'm inspired. I never intended to let my blog wither away in some lost corner of the internet, but life happens and sometimes you suddenly find all your energies focused in another direction. Blogging was always in my mind, but I don't know.. I just couldn't.

My time in Roanoke hasn't been fun and I find myself not having the mental energy to blog. For one, if I'm going to bitch about something here, I want it to be humorous.. and not much about Roanoke is entertaining. It's boring and conservative, I live in a trashy apartment complex, and, as a bonus, every work day is full of B.S. and catering to the sometimes-ridiculous whims of the local rich. I guess you could say I've been demoralized since moving here, and all of this doesn't exactly make for entertaining blog reading.

Even my picture-taking has suffered, and that is saying something! When I look in my photo folder, there are huge, months-long gaps between shoots. Even when I lived in Parkersburg and was at my most miserable, I was still taking pictures all the time.

As far as the blogging thing goes, the biggest thing is the inspiration issue. All my life, I've been told I should be a writer. Maybe so; I do have some talents in this area, but I have a gigantic obstacle: I can never finish any of my work because once the inspiration passes, I'm at a loss to continue. So has it always been with my blog; if you look through the archives, you will see that I'm a fairly sporadic poster.

I need to get over it and start blogging again for my own sanity. I need to focus some creative or whatever energies in a semi-constructive manner. So, as an excuse to get out and take more pictures, I'm toying with the idea of posting more photos here than I have in the past, at least until I leave Roanoke. Or maybe it'll be something I really like and it'll become a permanent feature.

Anyhow, I will be attempting to post more in the future and try to revive this poor, dead blog. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Alena - I'm Sara from over at "Lanky Brunettes" etc. For some reason, I *just* got notified of your comments from January, so I only replied to them yesterday. I thought I ought to let you know, since (like you point out in this post) people tend to forget about blogs without constant input. You might have noticed I have a total of two posts - my friend who runs the Tory Party thought I ought to have a blog and created me one, but I never know what to write about. Thanks for your very thoughtful comment on my post, and GOOD LUCK with reviving your blog! :)

dreamz said...

I've got the same trouble with inspiration, it passes and leaves hundred projects unfinished...

Story of my life... as far as I can remember, they are few times I've managed to catch my muse to finish one...

At least if you can't keep one to finish it, you go nowhere...

We live in a world full of images, they are all around us, if you want your blog to be more attractive, you should publish more photographys...

have a good day :)

dz