Saturday, April 29, 2006

Rejected!


So, today I got a rejection letter in the mail from a national wildlife refuge in NH, to which I had applied for an internship this summer. I suppose I'm disappointed and a little confused, but that's life, right? And it's not like I really have a ton of experience, but, duh, that's the whole point of taking internships. I'm confused because I received a forwarded email from the place that essentially stated they were desperately in need of applicants, yet in my rejection letter they stated that they had received many applications and the position was highly competitive. Eh? I mean, I guess they could have received a deluge of applicants after the email was forwarded on, but I can't help but wonder if they were simply being nice.

That leaves me here in Motown for the summer, disappointing on one hand, but also not on the other. For one, being a year-round resident, I really enjoy it when everyone clears out for breaks. It's way quieter and more peaceful, plus there's less traffic and annoying/idiotic people to deal with.

The semi-suck thing is that I have to get a job because I'm sick of being broke all the time. It's not working that sucks so much as where I'm going to be working. You see, there's an OG opening up here, they've been building it for months and I have been waiting to apply. Actually, it looks pretty nice, it's a Tuscan Farmhouse OG, plus I think it would be fab to work in a restaurant that wasn't falling apart in various ways, due to age.

Back with the spaghetti-slinging, guys. I'm simultaneously okay with and dreading it. I just really, really hope the clientele is better than in Pburg. I mean, Motown is more affluent in general, but OG, I think tends to attract a certain type of customer because it's in the family restaurant market. If the tip situation is anything like the scraping-10% crap I had to deal with for over two years, I don't know what I'll do. I really wish the Cafe Bacchus thing had worked out, or alternately that my boss hadn't been such a degrading prick that I had to quit.

Despite my dreading the whole step-and-fetch deal of OG, I think my best job option at this point is to wait tables. Can't beat the flexibility and having cash all the time. Plus I have really been a lazy bum and quite aimless and unmotivated without a job. On the other hand, I feel like I'm happier when I'm working even if the job annoys the hell out of me. Also as a small bonus, working at a restaurant makes me a thousand times less likely to eat out of boredom, so that combined with the running around will help me shed some of this weight. :)

No comments: