Thursday, November 03, 2005

California, Here I Come


Phantom Planet - California

Five years ago come January, I boarded the crazy train, crammed a Ryder truck full of my stuff, and drove -- by myself-- all the way across the country to move in with Coo-Coo Crazy (a.k.a. Psycho Ex) in North Carolina. Five years ago, I left my native and beloved California to try out life on the East Coast. It may very well be the biggest mistake I have ever made, but what's done is done and I try to not dwell on it.

Nevertheless, I had no concept while leaving my home state that it would be damn near impossible, financially, to move back. I have lived in several places since my original departure, and I can't tell you what it's like for a California girl on the wrong coast. Don't get me wrong, there is an awful lot that I like about the East Coast.. the history, the fall foliage, the nearness of the states (sort of like Europe), but it's not the West Coast. I'm biased and I fully admit it.

Living in West Virginia has pushed my homesickness to a new level. It really is just so different than where and how I was raised. After too long, it starts to really wear on me, but I'm lucky in that I generally get to leave the state at least once a year. You know, to get a little break away from things.

The truth is, it feels almost as if I left my home country to move to another. In many ways, I feel like a foreigner here. Morgantown is lightyears better than Parkersburg in terms of numbers of general liberalness and people who share my views, values, and opinions, but still I feel an empty ache in my heart when I think of home.

To say I miss it is an understatement. I have wanted so desperately to go home, even just to visit. I think I could be happy with just a taste. I almost got to last January, but the beginning of school conflicted with my mom's visit to California. This year, things are better planned. In fact, yesterday I bought my ticket to San Francisco! I'm beyond giddy, really. I'll be in northern California and southern Oregon from Dec. 27 to Jan. 8!

My mom asked me if there's anything special I wanted to do while we're there, but aside from trying to look up my friends, I really don't care. I know I'll be babysitting my sister quite a bit, but the mere fact that I'll be in MY CITY for almost a week.. I don't care what we do. My sister likes the same places I did (and still do).. The Exploratorium, IMAX movies, Pier 39, etc. We have tickets to see Cirque du Soleil, something of a family tradition from when we lived in the city. Fancy schmancy hair appointments. We're staying in a shwank hotel on Union Square. Truthfully, though, we could be sleeping in a car and I'd be pretty damn happy. :P

So.. California, here we come... right back where we started from.. California.. I'm coming home..

Joni Mitchell - California

It goes without saying that these two songs will be on my iPod for this trip.

No comments: