Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Alas, Poor Summer, I Knew Thee Well


Can you believe it? School starts next Monday, so summer is almost over. There were points along the way that felt a bit slow, but overall, where did the time go? In particular, where in the world did the last month go? I feel like I just got back from Italy..

Now, I've been looking forward to summer's end since the very first 85+ degree day arrived and found me with no air conditioning. This is a state I've since corrected after bravely trying to suffer and sweat through it, but I am Scottish and a San Fran girl, so in general I am not built for the heat on the east coast. I hate it, in fact, because I can't stand being sweaty hot to my core. On top of that, I am a furnace, or "warm-blooded" as my mom always called me, so I am usually pretty warm to begin with. Just ask anyone who has slept in the same bed with me.. sometimes covers or blankets have to be removed because I radiate so much heat.

The result is that I avoid going outside during summer because I can't stand it, and it seriously messes with my ability to do things I like to do. Sometimes it's too hot to do anything, much less exercise in any shape or form (unless it involves being immersed in water)... For example, I went on a bike ride a few weeks ago because I was tired of sitting on my ass. I tried to wait until the day had cooled down, but a strange phenomenon is that the temperature tends to actually rise around here in late afternoon and as the day wears on. So, at 6pm, it was around 88, humid as hell, and let's just say that by the end of my ride, I thought I was going to die. That or puke. I think I only managed to ride for half an hour or so, but I swear it felt endless. The air was so hot, thick, and humid that I didn't think I'd make it home, and when I did, I immediately had to strip down and sit under the window unit until my nausea and shakiness passed. Sounds fun, eh?

So anyway.. I don't hate summer per se, but let's say that since leaving the Bay Area and central California, summer has been pushed to the bottom of my favorite seasons list. I count down the weeks until September, fantasizing about how happy I'll be when fall starts to show itself. In addition, I think I may be one of only five people in this state that actually and truly enjoys the winters here. I don't know what it is, but as I discovered when I lived in Minnesota, I really like the snow. I'm not sure I'd be quite as happy with, say, ten-foot snow drifts and blizzards, but the amount of snow in WV is perfect in my opinion. Not too much, not too little, and frankly I would rather have a few months of snow to months of depressing rain, a la Bay Area (and don't even get me started on El Nino and the nine-month rain-filled winter we had one year, I'll kick that bastard's ass).

Anyway, I'm torn to see summer vacation go, although I have been looking forward to school starting. I've had way too much time on my hands lately. It has taken me four months, but I nearly got my school schedule finished and locked in (just waiting on approval for the math). Though I tried several times, it was really difficult to find classes I need to take that would fit into my fucked up schedule. Basically, certain required classes for my major are offered only one semester a year, and I want to get some of those classes out of the way as soon as possible so that I have more freedom in scheduling future terms. On top of that, I have labs for every class save one -- including Algebra, tell me why I need a lab for Algebra -- so thanks to all the damn labs and random class times, I found it utterly impossible to find anything I could get credit for to fit into my schedule. Seriously. I can't tell you how many times I tried. When I realized I really had no other choice if I wanted to carry more than 10 credits this fall, I finally broke down and signed up for the 8:30 am Algebra class. While the plus of this class is that I should definitely have no problem finding parking downtown at this hour, my question is what half-wit schedules an Algebra class at 8:30 in the morning? And Monday and Friday?? Why ruin my Friday with an early Algebra class? Besides, who is awake and ready to absorb complicated math that early in the morning? If I were ruler of the world, classes wouldn't start until at least 9 am.

I'm not all that pleased at the 8:30 am Algebra class, but whatever. I was trying to avoid it, but after trying every avenue possible to avoid this class, I feel like the universe is sort of forcing me to suck it up and take it. I'm trying to avoid thinking about just how early I have to get up.. not only to make it to class, but to be moderately awake as well. ;)

So.. my schedule for this semester is as follows. Very science-y with a splash of math, shaken not stirred..


College Algebra . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M/F 8:30-9:20
Principles of Biology . . . . . . . . . . . . M/W/F 11:30-12:20
Dendrology . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T/Th 9:30-10:20
SPTP:Aquaculture Management . . . . T 2:00-4:45
Algebra Lab. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . T 5:30-6:50
Dendrology Lab . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Th 11:00-1:45
Biology Lab . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F 12:30-2:20

No comments: