Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The Wonders of the Modern Appliance


I bought a carrot cake mix and some fakey cream cheese frosting last week, and decided to make it tonight. I hadn't used my oven yet, though two of the stove burners won't light by themselves, so I decided I'd turn it on to test if it was working. I let it go for a minute or so and it felt warm, so I left it on to pre-heat.

Something like ten minutes later, the mix all mixed, the pan buttered, the batter poured, I open the oven to insert the cake, and somewhat unsurprisingly, the oven wasn't hot, but was definitely full of gas. Of course I immediately freaked out about blowing the house up and opened the kitchen door to let fresh air circulate. Then I stopped to ponder what the hell I was going to do with a pan full of cake batter and an oven that doesn't work. It seemed both a shame and a disappointment to throw away the batter after all the physical labor involved in not owning an electric mixer.

Being the clever ape I am, I tossed aside the idea of somehow microwaving it, and realized I have a perfectly good toaster oven that might do the trick. "Can you bake a cake in a toaster oven?" I asked myself. I decided to find out.

First thing I realized was that a change of pans was in order. My 9x13 wasn't going to fit in the toaster oven. I dug through my cabinet and came up with two loaf pans. Two did not fit at a time, ha ha. So this would be an hour ordeal. But I love experiments, so I popped the first one in.

You will be pleased to note that you can indeed bake a cake in the toaster oven. However, if yours is anything like mine, the top will eventually burn because of the close proximity to the heating coil. So if you want to bake a cake in the toaster oven, I recommend baking it about halfway normally, and then covering it with a piece of foil to prevent the top being burnt to shit.

Overall, it took about 35 minutes to bake each loaf, and they turned out moderately well, considering. I'm just amused by the fact that my apartment is so ghetto that I have to resort to such things.



Currently Playing...
Song: Groove Armada - Shakin' That Ass (Fatboy Slim Mix)
Obsessing Over: iPods! Help me get one free by clicking here -- then get one yourself!

No comments: