Saturday, December 11, 2004

Stuff


This is a quick update because I have to head to work in a little bit. The semester is thankfully coming to a close. I had a Sociology final on Wednesday, my math final is next Wednesday, and I've also been trying to get loose ends tied up here before my move on the 27th.

The Sociology final was a little frustrating. There were 150 questions, 50 of them written with one essay, and the class itself is only an hour and forty-five minutes long. Even if we'd started right when class did, I would still have felt very rushed. But the teacher squandered fifteen precious minutes talking about nothing -- actually, he spent about two of the fifteen telling us important things, and then kind of babbled the rest of the time. I kept thinking, Oh my god, hurry up, I have to get started! Oh my god, stop talking, please, nooooooooo!

The way the teacher does the final is he has two parts; the first part is given during the last class period, and if you get less than 95% on it, you have to come back during finals week to take the second part, which is a vocab test. Admittedly, I didn't study as hard as I should have and of course there was a whole bunch of stuff I didn't know. Because 2/3 of the test was multiple choice, I was generally able to make decent guesses, but when it came to the written part, time was really ticking and I found I couldn't remember a few things. I'd wanted to write a good essay -- it was on female circumcision from a culturally relativistic point of view -- and ended up having to skip to the end to start working on that as my time drained away.

I wouldn't have been so worried about time if I hadn't had my math class in the next period. The essay ended up being only a few paragraphs, which disappointed me because I could have done much better, but at least I got my points across very well. I had to leave a couple of questions mostly blank because I couldn't even remember the terms he was using to ask for examples. Blaaargh!

When I finished the test as much as I could, I brought it up to him and said, "Well, I'll be seeing you next week." He kind of laughed and I explained I felt I sort of blew the test, so he pulled out his answer key and showed me what I'd blanked out on, which of course made me feel even dumber because as soon as I saw the answers, I was like, DUH! But then he said because of the number of questions, I could miss 20 and still make an A.

I don't know what my grade was on Part I, but I have to go back on Monday to take the second part. Sucky, but it's entirely my fault. Also, during the semester, our chapter tests were online, which, while cool, totally did not help me out because I kept forgetting I had to take them until the test deadline had already passed. So I think I missed something like four tests, which is bad news. He said he'd give me a lot of extra credit for speaking at the sexuality panel, and while I know I don't deserve an A, I would be so happy at this point if I scraped by with a B.

I've fallen behind in math this semester because of my laziness, but the teacher gave us a list of sample problems to study, and I am going to force myself to work through them so that I can pass the test with flying colors. I'm in Intermediate Algebra now, but have to work up to Intro to Calculus, so for my own sake, I want to have a solid foundation to stand on. I do not have a good history with math and have always struggled with it, at least until I met this teacher. I know I can do it if I put effort into it, and that if I work I can understand it.

Other than that, I'm getting all geared up to move. The truck is reserved, I switched over power and phone service, so I now have my new address and phone number. Aside from packing and cleaning, the only thing I have left to do is submit my mail forwarding card at the post office. Things at least feel more real now, but there is still a sort of surreal feeling that I'm actually leaving here, leaving Angie, leaving my shite job, etc. I'm very excited about it, though, especially as every day in the past week or so, I've come home to something annoying because of my neighbors. I just keep thinking to myself, Only a couple more weeks..

My last day at OG is Christmas Eve. I was going to make it the 23rd instead, but I heard that it's a good money day. I still don't have a job lined up in Morgantown, but I have my eye on two places.. first choice is Cafe Bacchus, a fine dining restaurant that has a real chef and looks swank, or the Radisson, which is also a very nice hotel (plus they're hiring for full-time banquet servers, which is what I'd want to do there, maybe I can talk them into part-time).

That's about it for now, sorry at the lack of posting in the past few days. I'm a little preoccupied right now. :)



Currently Playing...
Song: Eat Static - Area 51
Book: The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith
Obsessing Over: iPods! Help me get one free by clicking here -- then get one yourself!

No comments: