Sunday, November 14, 2004

Yikes, I'm Getting Old


My birthday has totally crept up on me for the first time ever in my life. Usually I'm well aware my birthday is arriving beginning a couple months in advance, but this time, it didn't even occur to me until sometime last week. "Oh shit. My birthday's not next week, is it? Oh my god, it is." I'll be 28, and honestly, the age thing is starting to freak me out a little. After all, in two years, I'll be 30 -- MAKE IT STOP, I DON'T FEEL 30, MAKE IT STOP, I'M NOT READY!

Angie called me on Friday and the first thing she said was, "So the countdown begins."

I didn't know what she was talking about and was like, "Huh?"

Of course she was referring to my birthday on Wednesday. Noooooooooooooo...

It's not as if I'm aging in a vacuum, oh no. There are plenty of little signs that I'm getting old. I noticed a white hair on my right forearm as I was driving home the other day. I thought it might just be light blonde or a trick of the light, but OH NO. Also I figure that if you fail to realize it's your birthday, and it's less than a week away, that's a definite sign that the bloom is off the birthday rose.

Not to mention the freaky generation gap things I experience both with Angie's niece and some of the younger people at work. I'll be in conversation with someone of similar antiquity to myself, talking about something we remember from growing up, TV shows, stars, fashions, whatever. And some young whippersnapper will make a comment to show they have no idea what we're talking about, that immediately makes me feel old.

Did I mention I'm not ready to turn 30? OMG. 30. Just make it stop, someone? Please?

My birthday is Wednesday the 17th, and, just in case any of you love me or this site enough to celebrate my ancientness, and maybe want to ease my pain and suffering some, I have a virgin Amazon wishlist just waiting to be used. I'm honestly grateful for anything off the list and would be thrilled with anything, new or used. I have tons of things on it, ranging from a couple dollars to significantly expensive (hey, it is a wishlist, after all). I never expected anyone to actually use my wishlist, but you folks are my only hope. You see, with all the lesbian and BDSM books on there, it's not like I can send it to my mom. Haha.



Currently Playing...
Song: Liz Phair Love-Hate
Book: Ash Wednesday by Ethan Hawke and Stupid White Men by Michael Moore
Obsessing Over: iPods! Help me get one free by clicking here -- then get one yourself!

No comments: