Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Birthday Bonanza


So yeah, I'm officially 28 now, though of course I don't feel any older. I've had a few months to get accustomed to attaching the number to myself, so it's not so much of a shock anymore. I'm 28. Can't even loosely call myself mid-twenties anymore. I've definitely moved into the range of late-twenties.

Ah, well, what can ya do. My birthday in practice was less a bonanza (but it was fun to use the word) and more that I had to go home early from school because I felt sick as a dog. All I wanted to do was lay on the couch and watch TV, but due to poverty and my aversion to television, I don't get any channels. Plus I wanted company, so I ended up going over to Angie's to monopolize her couch and veg out for a while; she was kind enough to heat up soup for me and provide crackers, as well as blankets and a pillow on the couch. She'd also made a cake for me, so I even got to make a wish. Very thoughtful and sweet.

I felt much better after I ate, and the cake, ice cream, and hot fudge later were gooooood. Even better was that I'd just gotten my sense of taste back from this damn cold, so I could mostly taste everything. Yummy. I watched TV for a while and we ended up watching Saved! (great movie, very funny), then channel surfing until we landed on some program on the Bermuda Triangle.

All in all, it was a very good, mellow birthday. I really love Angie and she has developed into one of the best friends I've ever had. I told her so tonight.

I have to go up to Morgantown tomorrow to look at an apartment, which sounds promising and is much more in my price range than anything else I've found. I've been really stressed over my finances for at least two weeks, having come to the realization that I wouldn't have enough money to move to Morgantown in December as planned. I figured that I spent at least half my loan money on car repairs, which, had the timing been better, would have totally covered my expenses. No matter how I stretched it or even if I worked more, I wouldn't have enough. I'm a big worrier anyway, like if I don't have something to worry about, I'll make one up, so I figure the money stress was at least part of the reason I got sick.

I was stressed to the max and finally had to ask my mom for help, which these days is truly a last resort. I requested a loan that I would repay when my school loan money arrived, and after talking, she gave me the sum that I needed. I told her I felt badly taking, not borrowing, when I know they don't have it to spare right now, but she said she feels it's a parent's responsibility to help their children go through university. Plus she didn't want me to stay here any longer than I had to (thank God, cause me either).

So that has definitely taken a load off my mind. I still need to work more and be very careful with money, but the bulk of the pressure is off.

Other than that, after coming back from Motown tomorrow, I will be participating in my Sociology professor's semesterly sexuality panel. He's a really cool guy, my teacher, and I jumped at the chance to participate. I figure a lot of people in this area don't have much contact with the gay community (to their knowledge, anyway, heh), and I feel proud to be able to be a face they can put with with the label.

There are about seven to ten panelists a semester, from varying walks of life. This year there will be a transsexual (male to female), a bisexual woman, a drag queen, a lesbian (me), the mother of a gay man.. two more, I think, but I can't remember. The program is only offered in Sociology classes, and students are given extra credit for attending. Attending is not mandatory and the class got lectured on the rules, in an attempt to weed out disruptive people. People can ask the panel just about everything barring anything insulting or hateful.

The teacher hands out 3x5 cards for audience questions, which get sent back to him in order to filter out anything inappropriate (i.e. slanderous, preachy, etc.), but otherwise doesn't change the content of the question. So.. should be interesting. I'm interested in meeting the other panelists, and hearing their questions and answers.



Currently Playing...
Song: Opera - Dido - When I Am Laid In Earth
Book: Ash Wednesday by Ethan Hawke
Obsessing Over: iPods! Help me get one free by clicking here -- then get one yourself!

No comments: