Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Random Stuff with Tangent as Added Bonus


I am a big fan of music swapping. I enjoy getting recommendations from people with similar music tastes, also those unsimilar simply for getting to try different music. Music swapping allows me both to share some great unknowns as well as be introduced to them. So it's no surprise that I enjoy Burn It and heartily recommend it to others. Even though one or two people in my group didn't send CDs, I did end up with an awesome CD that is still on heavy rotation. Totally worth my time.

I participated in the last Winter edition, missed the Spring though I really liked the theme, skipped the Summer edition because I was uninspired, but the Fall one... I'm ready to get back in. The Fall theme is "Back to School" for obvious reasons, comprising of songs that came out while you were in school, songs that make you think of school (whether it was out at that time or not), or songs that make you feel like you're back in school.

I'm going for songs that remind me of high school; the rough draft:

The Nails - 88 Lines About 44 Women
Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
King Missile - Detachable Penis
The Bangles
The Go-Go's
Nirvana
Metallica
Old 10,000 Maniacs
The Cure
Depeche Mode
NIN
Paula Abdul
They Might Be Giants
Counting Crows (August and Everything After)
Milli Vanilli

Just typing the list out and looking over what I have, I'm hoping this mix isn't overly annoying to other people. Hee.

Earlier I remembered something kind of randomly; I recently downloaded a bunch of The Cure in anticipation of this mix. The song "Boys Don't Cry" came on, and I suddenly remembered back when I first heard the album and it sort of amused me. You see, I was a pirate even back then; I had bought the tape or CD, recorded it to a blank tape, and then returned it. The Wherehouse had a policy then that you could buy any music and return it if you didn't like it. Obviously it was abused by people like me, who quickly learned I could get whole albums for free as long as I returned the original within a week. I don't think I did this a lot, but I did do it more than once.



Currently Playing...
Song: Paul Oakenfold - Trance Energy
Book: Skin Tight by Carl Hiaasen
Obsessing Over: iPods! Help me get one free by clicking here -- then get one yourself!

No comments: