Monday, August 16, 2004

Preach On, Sistah


I love Margaret Cho, and I love her blog especially because in many ways, she says the things I think, only way better than if I would attempt to put them into words. This is her post, dated 8/12/04, and I felt it needed to be repeated.




Satan's Work

It is revolting that the gay marriages are being annulled in San Francisco. I don't understand why these bigoted, arrogant, nosy, busybody 'conservatives' have to trample all over civil rights in order to make everyone understand that they think that homosexuality is wrong.

You know what? I think that intolerance is wrong. I think that having no compassion is wrong. I think that meddling in people's lives whom you don't even know personally is wrong.

I think that these people who claim to do God's work are actually working for the Other Guy. Satan likes it when people are motivated by their own prejudice. The Horned One gets all happy when someone is being oppressed or unduly punished. The Dark Lord loves injustice. These so called family advocates and Christian groups are really doing the Devil's Work. I hope they enjoy being pawns for Lucifer.

The true face of evil is the need to control the actions of others. It doesn't matter that you think it might be for their own good or salvation. We will see who goes to hell.


-- Margaret Cho Blog



I've come a long way, personally, as far as my tolerance for Christians goes. I had a moderately anti-Christian upbringing, in that no one in my family was religious and we enjoyed the occasional poke at the rabid conservative Christian mentality. I grew up not really understanding why Christians believe what they do, and to be honest, in a way, I still don't, really. At least, I can understand believing what you're taught all your life, but I guess I don't understand the people who weren't born and raised in Christianity, those who became Christians as adults, having those beliefs.

But that's okay, because I don't have to understand. I'm Wiccan and I believe everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and religion, that we are all free to choose which path is right for us. Only, when I was younger, when I first became Wiccan, I had little tolerance for Christianity. I would state rabidly how I didn't discriminate against Christians, and that I didn't have a problem with them, but at the time, it was a bit of a lie.

Truth be told, every time I heard the word 'Jesus', I cringed a little bit. It used to be way worse, to the point where as soon as I heard the word, I'd immediately turn my focus and stop listening. This has to do in part to my upbringing, my being taught that Christianity is ridiculous.

In any case, living in the South has made me a much more tolerant person, at least where religion is concerned. I can say with complete honesty that I have no problem with Christianity, that it is as much a valid and positive religion as mine. However, I recognize now that my problem lies not with the religious foundation, but instead with the misguided followers.

Not every Christian is bad, and that's not what I'm talking about at all. What I mean is like what Margaret says.. the people who preach, push, and foster hate and intolerance. To me and my understanding of the religion and of Jesus, the actions of the conservative Christian right are un-Christian.

It must be nice to pick and choose what parts of the Bible one is going to follow, to ignore some of the teachings (which include tolerace for everyone) in favor of others that seemingly back up one's fears and hatred. Jesus loves everyone, right? 'Judge not, lest ye be judged', right? I guess not.


Currently Playing...
Song: Kris Delmhorst - Damn Love Song
Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling (okay, so I think I'm finally addicted)
Obsessing Over: Getting my shit together for university

No comments: