Friday, February 13, 2004

Freaky Friday


I love Friday the 13th. 13 is a magick number, so I always expect good and unusual things to happen when the day rolls around. I did have a pretty good day today, and the unusual thing that happened was my last table at work. It was a married couple in their late-thirties-early-forties, and I ended up getting into this really deep conversation about all sorts of stuff, including theology.

They were incredibly nice, non-judgemental people, and we had a great talk. I'm amused about it, however, because they were incredibly conservative Christians. When they discovered I'm very liberal, the woman vowed she would convert me. I just kept shaking my head and smiling; and trying to make her realize that no amount of persuading would work.

I don't think they'd ever met a Witch before, so that was kind of amusing, too, getting to explain my various views and beliefs. I was very surprised and impressed at their tolerance of my views. Not that I think all Christians are preachy, but around here, the majority of them are.

I blatantly failed to correct them when they used the word 'he' in reference to what I'd ambiguously called 'a relationship' -- I figured I probably was pushing the envelope already at being a liberal Democrat Witch. After a winding conversation on many topics we ended up talking about God and the afterlife, and we swapped book recommendations.

They seemed to be as pleased with the interaction as I was, and said they would request me the next time they came in. They even asked when I worked. I think it's really cool. With all the ignoramuses around here, it's so refreshing and nice to be able to hold an intellectual conversation with my customers. And hell yeah, I would love to wait on them again.

So happy Friday the 13th, everyone!

No comments: