Thursday, October 02, 2003

Random News


I've had all sorts of random crap rolling around in my head lately, so I think I'll post it.

Every once in a while, I get a bug up my ass about something. It must be the OCD in me (or rather, just my obsessive personality venting somewhat), but whatever it is, I have to take care of it immediately or it will bug me until I do. This includes things like a rust stain on the wall that needs cleaning, or all the dead bugs on my floor that scream for vacuuming, or my most recent one, needing gas but not having money to pay for it.

You see, I don't know what happened, but though I thankfully had enough money for rent, that left me some paltry amount. Not enough, really, to do laundry, get groceries, party, any of that. I had like $30 to tide me over for 4 days, and then early on this week, I nearly ran out of gas.

The plus on that is that I finally discovered that the gas light in my car does work. I haven't felt like dealing with running out of gas in some random location, as I would occasionally do when I was younger and stupider. I've had my car for like three years now, and haven't ever let it get to the point where I could test the gas light, because if it didn't work, well, I really didn't want to deal with it.

Well, my gas was low when I left for school, and then when I was heading home out of the parking lot, it seemed like I had plenty to get back into town. My eyes were glued to my gas gauge; I realized I'd somewhat overestimated the amount of gas I had, and that I should have stopped at the gas station by the school, instead of deciding to take a chance on the highway and such.

I kept my eye on it, and it was pretty damn low. And then right when I got into town (thankfully right next to a gas station), the little yellow gas light came on. I had like $15 left, so I put in $5. But because I was so low on gas already, I didn't even get a full quarter of a tank. So then I started wondering what I was going to do.. since I had several more days of school left, I knew that amount of gas wouldn't hold me over until my next work shift.

Then I landed on the idea of taking $10 out of my change jar and buying some gas with it. I'm actually kind of amused at this.. I mean, when was the last time you paid for anything with an assload of loose change? So I decided that to lessen the amount of irritation toward me for doing so, I'd go in later on in the evening, when 7-11 is less busy.

I've had this change jar for years, and it's never been so full. Usually I've lived in an area that has a Coinstar, so I've only let the jar get about half full before I decide to cash it in. As far as I know, there are no Coinstar machines here, so my jar was pretty damn full. Half-full is about $30, so I figure I've got at least $50 in there. Maybe more so because I'm better about tossing quarters in there.

So I poured out some of the change.. decided I didn't want to use up all my quarters, so I counted out $5 in quarters, $3.50 in dimes, and $1.50 in nickels. Pennies are too much of a pain in the ass, so I didn't bother. I mean, after all, I really didn't want the 7-11 clerk to shoot me out of annoyance. Instead, I took all the leftover pennies and put them in my pouch for work. See? Good thinking.

So yeah, I paid for gas with $10 in loose change. However, I go to that 7-11 all the time, so they know me, and the guy at the counter is this young punker-type kid that I knew would probably think it was more amusing than anything else.

In any case, I solved the money issue, got enough gas to hold me over for a while, and found a constructive use for my change.

I also recently watched two movies that kicked ass. The first one was Drop Dead Gorgeous with Denise Richards, Kirsten Dunst, Kirstie Alley, and Ellen Barkin. The only reason I picked up this movie was because of Kirsten Dunst (since I figured the Kirstie Alley factor meant the movie had to suck), but man, I was totally surprised by how funny it was. First of all, it's kind of a mockumentary about beauty pageants.. a lot of the comedy and such is stereotypical, so if you're not into that, you might not like it. However, I've lived in Minnesota, where the film takes place, and it's actually somewhat true, only everything is blown a thousand times out of proportion, so that just about everything in the movie is twisted, outrageous, and very, very funny.

The second one, I just watched last night, The Mothman Prophecies. Now, I don't know how many people saw this movie when it was out, but it's based on something that happened in Point Pleasant, WV.. not terribly far from where I live now. So of course that part was fairly intriguing. I decided to hook my VCR up to my stereo, then turned out all the lights -- definitely worth doing. My little TV has crappy speakers, but with my stereo on, I could hear all the little ambient sounds and stuff. And I swear, I was sitting there praying to whatever god might be that no one would call me during the movie. If my phone had rung while I was watching it, I don't know what I would have done. Well, I know I'd probably have freaked out, fo' sho'. But you should definitely see this movie, it's sooo good. And I recommend watching it in the dark, hooked up to a stereo or something equivalent, for the full effect.

Mikey has decided that I am a makeover project waiting to happen, and he is just so excited about it. I don't have any photos of myself at hand presently, but if you know me, you also probably know about my eyebrows. I have, uh, thick eyebrows. And no, they're not the most feminine thing on the planet, but they're what I was given and since I'm a rather low-maintenance kind of girl, I've never bothered to do anything about it.

Well, Kit has been on about my eyebrows forever... she was even willing to let me use part of a gift certificate she received for some holiday to get my eyebrows waxed. So when we were at True Colors, Mikey got all excited and said he wanted to make me over, telling me he only had a few improvements in mind. I looked at him and said, "Let me guess... one of them is to wax my eyebrows?"

He just dissolved into laughter. He was clapping his hands and going, "Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod" while dancing around. He's a kook. And what the hell does anyone care about my bloody eyebrows, anyhow? Good grief.

So yeah, apparently I'm going to get this makeover, which involves waxing my eyebrows, coloring and highlighting my hair (light brown with caramel highlights or something?), and then getting it cut into some dubious style that Mikey thinks will look fab on me. The style, I'm not sure about, since my hair is so fucking intractable. The rest, yeah, I'm willing to do it.

Mikey has guaranteed me that once he makes me over, I'll have a date within 6 weeks. That I'm not sure about, and I told him so, but he wanted to bet me $25, and I passed on that. Anyhow, if the makeover happens, I'll be sure to get some before-and-after photos to post up here.

I guess that's all the spew for now.

No comments: