Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Big Red


I finally went ahead and dyed my hair red. I've been wanting to do it for the longest time, but my hair was always too short for it to look good. It's been so long since I've been able to do anything with my hair that when Rob encouraged me to dye my hair dark red, I just went and did it.

The color on the box said 'Intense Dark Red'.. only the color didn't turn out 'dark'. It's more like 'intense red'. I can't even begin to describe the hue of my hair.. sometimes it does look dark-ish red, other times raspberry-colored, sometimes it looks fire red. All that can be said is that it's a crazy hair color. I look kind of punk, kind of alternative. I think I like it.

I've always enjoyed the shock value of things, and dyeing my hair outrageous colors has been one way to elicit a certain shock. It's been so long since I've dyed my hair that I've forgotten how much I enjoy reinventing myself that way. After all, I believe that little things like what color someone dyes their hair can say volumes about a person. Right now, mine says, Look at me, I'm different, I'm cool, and I don't care what you think. And I think that does sum up what I'm feeling.

You have to realize that I didn't intend to dye my hair an outrageous color. What I wanted was a nice, deep red.. maybe more brown than red. I ended up with something completely different -- I forgot that my hair tends to dye on the lightest shade possible for the hair color I'm using. If I'd remembered that, I'd have left the color on longer. In any case, I don't necessarily regret my forgetfulness, because I think my hair is a really cool shade. The only question is going to be whether Bill and/or Gary will permit me to keep it.

I went in to work yesterday to test the waters, and Steve was there. I knew Steve wouldn't give a damn about my hair color, so long as it wasn't something like blue or green or whatever. And it's true, he really didn't care. He told me he didn't see anything wrong with it, since it wasn't the first thing he noticed (and that amuses me, because it's such a radical change, I'm not sure how you could avoid noticing that first off) and that my complexion and freckles match the red hair, so it doesn't seem too out of place.

I knew Steve would be the easiest of the three managers to get it by.. but I'm definitely nervous to hear what Bill has to say. He's either going to love it, or he's going to hate it; and if he hates it, it's not going to be fun!

I had my first quizzes this week, in Psych and Math. All my tests in Psych will be multiple choice, which puts me at a distinct advantage, since I usually can do pretty well on multiple choice tests. Even if I don't know an answer, I'm able to narrow down the choices enough to make a fairly good guess.

So while I know I didn't prepare enough for the Psych test, I don't feel like I failed it. I just won't know until I get my score. And the math test was pretty simple, it was on the first chapter. I know how to do all the problems, the question is whether I spaced out at all and flubbed up some of the mathematical operations as I'm wont to do. So again, we'll see next week, when I get my scores.

I meet tomorrow with the head of the Humanities division about the improv/club dealie. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that pans out.

Oh, and one last thing.. I saw the film The Mighty and I highly recommend it. It's got Sharon Stone and some other famous actors in it, and it's just wonderfully done, both the story and cinematography. On the other hand, one film you should avoid like the plague is Snow Falling On Cedars which could be the slowest, most mind-numbing movie I have ever seen. Every five minutes or so, I'd roll my eyes and go, Is this movie ever going to be over? Boring, boring, boring.. even with Ethan Hawke.

No comments: