Sunday, August 03, 2003

Wazzzzzup


Man.. I am so glad I have the next few days off. Today was absolute hell at work. Well, Sunday day shifts are already synonomous with hell, but things were just so much worse than usual today.

It was Rose's birthday, and I've found that when you work at a restaurant on your birthday, you're way more likely than not to have a phenomenally shitty day. I don't know exactly why this is, but it's kind of like a cruel Murphy's Law.

And then it was like every single person had their own individual dramas going on. The odd thing was, I was in a pretty decent mood, and other than getting slammed frequently and then spilling peach sangria all down my front, I stayed pretty above all the crap I tend to get mired down in. So I got to sort of observe the madness around me all day.

I was in smoking, and on a Sunday, it's usually more of a blessing rather than the usual curse. For one, you get way less of the church crowd, and you also generally get to stand around and drink coffee for an hour before you get your first table. Considering I'm about half-awake when I get to work in the morning, I appreciate this time to wake up. It also provides me time to watch everyone else around me get slammed and gloat to myself because I get to ease into my shift.

The downside of this is that once the smokers start to roll in, they don't stop. In fact, smoking gets busiest right when non-smoking becomes dead. So my roommate and I did eventually become pretty busy.

Everyone was hung over, for one. Add then the stress and frustration of a practically tip-free shift full of rude and ungrateful people. My roommate broke down crying, twice. I therefore landed all the big parties that sat in our room. Then there was the mystery of a missing kid's pizza, and the question of who stole it. We were frequently out of bread during the busiest times. Then everything came to a head when Rose and Gara went at it in the alley.

Once things got started, I just kind of ran my ass off. It was looking like I wouldn't get out of there until 5:30, and I was just so desperate to get out and be done with it. It was just such a totally stressful and hellish day all around; and I am just so absolutely grateful that my week ends with Sunday, so that I have a few days to recover. By the end of the week, I'm filled with a culmination of all the bitterness and hatred I've felt toward most of our customers all week; Sunday day shifts are just the cherry that tops it all off.

On a related note, I've been watching that reality show The Restaurant. I rather like the idea of this show; for one, I'm hoping it shows people what working in service is really like. It's not easy, and it's not pretty. And there is never any lack of drama in a restaurant.

I just have to say that Rocco, the chef/owner, and his management team, are complete pricks. Rocco and Laurent are by far two of the most pompous, self-important people I've ever seen. It blows my mind.. and I'm just waiting for the staff to organize a walk-out.

And finally, no more pop-ups. :D

No comments: