Thursday, August 28, 2003

w00t


All right, well, I have some news that's exciting (at least for me). After I noticed the complete lack of improv curriculum at school, I began thinking about starting an improv troupe at school. Kind of like a club, but not official, just a bunch of students getting together to do some improv.

Well, it's been on my mind for a while, but I wasn't sure what to do about it. I started thinking about it last night when I was lying in bed, trying to work out the details and figure out how I could do it with the least amount of effort.

One of the obstacles I came across is finding a suitable place to meet and practice, since my apartment is small and has no furniture, so it's not like we could meet there. Last night I touched upon the idea of using the stage at school, not just for an occasional performance, but thought that that would be the perfect place for us to meet.

I wasn't sure whether the school would let an unofficial group of students use the theater, but there isn't a theater club or anything, and starting a club is a lot of work and a tremendous pain in the ass.

I rushed to school today because I was late, and came to find that my class was canceled. While I was there, I decided to ask about the stage. I got directed to the Humanities office, and after talking with a woman who didn't know anything (it was her second day), I was told I should talk to the head of the department.

The woman up front went into the office in the back and started talking to the woman in there in low tones, so I couldn't make out what they were saying. They talked for a couple of minutes, and I heard the director say, "Well, is it exciting?"

That kind of cracked me up, so I went in and pitched my idea to her. I got the impression that she's not someone who is easily impressed or excited about things, but I did manage to get her excited about my idea.

She acknowledged that getting a new club formed is an awful lot of work for someone who just wants to get people together to do some improv. Her suggestion was to resurrect Delta Psi Omega, the honorary dramatic society that exists already but has no members, and that hasn't been active in ages. Apparently there's no GPA requirement to be a part of Delta Psi Omega, even though it's a national honor society and actually has many members in other chapters.

She said that it would be much easier to 'let Delta Psi Omega rise from the ashes' than to start off anew and go through the rigamarole necessary to form a new club. I was quite pleased with how much she liked my idea and how enthusiastic she became about it.

The downside is that dues for the society are $20. However, I figure I can let people come and visit for a trial period to see if they think the cost is worth it, after all, it's a lifetime membership and as a national honor society, would look good on resumes and such.

The Humanities director has all sorts of ideas on how I/we can get the most out of Delta Psi Omega. Performances for theater classes, seniors, kids. She's even asked me to come talk at her theater appreciation class! I'm sure it will be work, but you know that when it's something you love and are passionate about, it's not really work.

So anyway, nothing concrete yet, but she called the Dean of Students today and requested all the paperwork on Delta Psi Omega; the constitution, bylaws, all of that. She got my phone number and asked me to stop by next week to check in.

Cool, eh? I'm stoked! Finally some *culture* here, even if I have to create it myself. ;)

No comments: