Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Rant: On


Yeah, I feel like ranting a little bit. I came across this article, and I was just in total disbelief. It's not bad enough that Clinton passed the Defense of Marriage Act during his term, but Bush wants additional legislation to 'reinforce' that marriage is solely between a man and a woman.

Our government is severely fucked up, if this is one of their top priorities. Instead of spending money and time on things like fixing our schools, taking care of seniors and kids that are falling through the cracks, or getting health care for everyone, they're going to instead spend it legislating their own right-wing, Christian morality, and trying to make sure everyone in this country knows that gay people are 'sinners' that don't require a second thought.

When did this country become about our leaders legislating their own morality? Isn't this a democracy? Shouldn't our President be focusing on more serious things, and spending less time and energy making a point against what two people in love can and can't do?

My consolation is that other countries recognize, or are beginning to recognize, gay unions. Vermont was a huge step in the right direction for our country. I know that sometime during my life, I will eventually be able to marry the person I'm in love with. It simply pisses me off that in this day and age, where everyone preaches tolerance, it's still so far away.

Who says marriage is only between a man and a woman? The Bible? And what happened to separation of church and state? Since when does the Bible call the shots in this country?

I don't believe in bitching, but not doing anything about the problem. Add your name to the MillionForMarriage petition.

No comments: