Friday, May 16, 2003

Let's Talk About "Us"

Well, it looks like I may be taking a fairly permanent move to webspace provided by my ISP. When I first started this blog, I was trying to get my space set up there and because their website is an unwieldy, unintuitive piece of crap, I couldn't figure out how to do it. So I had to call tech support (which I try to avoid if I can, because usually I know if I do enough research/reading, I can figure it out myself), my last resort. I was pretty much pulling my hair out when I eventually gave up trying to do it -- I mean, I searched their Help Center and found absolutely nothing on setting it up other than the things I had already tried.

Anyway, I had a really nice tech guy and he gave me the FTP address and my URL.. I told him they needed that information on their website so that semi-skilled people can figure out how to do it on their own. I have a few choice words to say about Charter (*cough*circlejerk*cough*), but since this site may be taking up residence there soon, I should probably just diplomatically keep my mouth shut.

If they have ads or anything, I'm going to be royally pissed and not make the move. I just need some time to do some testing and playing around with FTP to check it all out. Because, truthfully, while I enjoy the freedom provided by a pop-up killer, I know pop-up (and under, and across the screen, yadda yadda) ads really suck. I remember the good old days of Tripod when the only advertising Tripod did was an inobtrusive banner ad at the bottom of your pages. Then some insidious bastard invented pop-up ads and the rest is history.

By the way, I highly, highly recommend a pop-up killer (email me and I'll send you a pretty good one for free). I also recommend Ad-aware if you've never heard of it or used it before. It's the self-described "morning after pill for the internet". Have you ever stopped to consider how much spyware might currently be festering on your computer? If you don't know what spyware is, they are small, fairly innocuous files, programs, and cookies that track your internet movements and habits. They may track how much you buy, where you buy from, or what sites you're visiting.

Now.. I'm not really doing anything special that I care whether people track it or not. They may get a chuckle out of how many BDSM-related websites I visit, but I don't care much about that. For me, it's the principle of the thing. To the tracking companies that put this spyware on my computer, all I have to say is: Keep your fucking crap OFF my computer, kthx.

It's my computer, it's my cable connection, what I do, where I go, what I look at.. is no one's business, particularly if they're acting in a shady manner and secretly spying on me. If they put files on my computer without asking me in order to do so. That stuff pisses me off. Which is why I will never, ever use Kazaa. I downloaded it once on my Mac because I was desperate for a song and Limewire, though a great program, is very limited in terms of numbers of users and file selection. In case you're not aware, Kazaa installs spyware onto your computer. It puts you through this lengthy and complicated installation process, where it seems like you get a choice to install or not install the spyware, but I've heard it installs some anyway. So Kazaa is evil, and the fact that so many people still use it anyway just goes to prove my point that the general American public is just plain stupid.

By the way.. WinMX is a rock-ass file-sharing program, with lots of users and tons and tons of songs to choose from. The program allows you to pick out a number of songs and then just walk away, because it's very intuitive and constantly searches for new sources with the songs you want. So my advice is to boycott Kazaa because it was surely spawned by Satan himself, and use WinMX instead, because it's a billion times better and wasn't made by Satan. I mean, is there really even a choice here?

I have this knack for finding really random shit on the internet. I think it's a combination of my web exploring and the fact that freaky shit gravitates to me in general. I have become so good at it, I think people are beginning to wonder about my mental health...

MuahahahaHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

No comments: